
I've blogged previously about my love / hate relationship with the split stitch. But since so many of you may have missed out on that post, I'll talk about it again.
The first stitch I ever learned was the split stitch, and I thought that was the stitch I had to use for embroidery projects. It seems like everything I made was adorned in split stitch. Now the split stitch is one of my least favorite stitches to work with.
Sure it has charm and beauty, but it's moody. (Just like me!) If you don't get the split just right, or if you go a little bit too far to the left or too far to the right when following your line, it can look wonky.
Oh split stitch, you're so unforgiving, but I forgive you, and we can still hang out sometimes.
I've come to accept the reality that I just don't get a clean and even split every time I make this stitch. You'll see that in the video. One stitch might only have 2 strands of thread on one side and 4 strands on the other. That's ok with me!
Remember, pictures & written instructions first, followed by the video.




Now the video!
See? Easy peasy, lemon squeezy. Over time, I've developed little habits that seem to help with my split stitching. I find myself placing my fingers (of my hoop hand) very close to where I'm stitching, and holding the thread that hangs underneath in the direction that I'm stitching. You can kind of see what I'm talking about from the pictures and the video. Even though I'm actually pushing my fabric up a little bit when I do this, for some reason it seems to help keep the stitch straighter.
I feel like I should mention that it's totally normal for your fabric to get a little loose when you're stitching. Just take a minute to stop, pull the fabric, and tighten your hoop again.
So now you've learned over half the stitches on our 5 stitch lesson plan! You are awesome. If you're working on a project now, I would love to see your progress!
Next up: French knot. Ooh la la!
Hugs & Stitches,
Amy
See? Easy peasy, lemon squeezy. Over time, I've developed little habits that seem to help with my split stitching. I find myself placing my fingers (of my hoop hand) very close to where I'm stitching, and holding the thread that hangs underneath in the direction that I'm stitching. You can kind of see what I'm talking about from the pictures and the video. Even though I'm actually pushing my fabric up a little bit when I do this, for some reason it seems to help keep the stitch straighter.
I feel like I should mention that it's totally normal for your fabric to get a little loose when you're stitching. Just take a minute to stop, pull the fabric, and tighten your hoop again.
So now you've learned over half the stitches on our 5 stitch lesson plan! You are awesome. If you're working on a project now, I would love to see your progress!
Next up: French knot. Ooh la la!
Hugs & Stitches,
Amy
These have been so helpful! Thank you so much.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much!!
ReplyDeleteI have done a little house with your first lesson, I would like that you saw her in my blog!
Regards
You stitching series is great. I used to embroider when I was little so this is a nice refresher course. I have 2 questions/comments:
ReplyDelete1. Do you use any type of stabilizer when you do your embroidery and would you demonstrate how to use it?
2. When all is said and done with your series it would be nice to have a chart of what stitches would be best for what pattern. I never know when I should be doing a split stitch versus a back stitch and everything in between.
Thanks again!
Verily great! thank you very much .... I must begin this Techniques Course and then your explanations are very good!
ReplyDelete@+Delph.