Thursday, April 15, 2010

Lesson 2: Back Stitch

Welcome to Lesson 2 of Embroidery 101!

I apologize for posting this so late in the day, but it's been non stop crazy around here.

Enough of that, let's get on with the show, shall we?



Today it's all about the back stitch. In my opinion, this is the perfect starter stitch. It's very simple and beautiful. Don't underestimate the simple beauty of the back stitch. Some of my favorite projects have been those worked almost entirely in back stitch.


Pattern source: Krazy Kitchen transfers from Sublime Stitching.




Pattern source: Baby Bib Embroidery Kit by Jenny Hart


I'll post the written instructions, accompanied with step by step photos. Here we go!

Step 1: With your fabric hooped & ready to go, insert your needle, coming up from the underside of your fabric & pull your needle until the knot catches. (It's a matter of personal preference when it comes to knotting your thread. I prefer it.)



Step 2: Reinsert your needle about 1/4" ahead of where your needle came up previously.




Step 3: Again, coming up from the underside of your fabric, insert your needle about 1/4" ahead of the previous stitch.



Step 4: Reinsert your needle in the hole that meets the previous stitch.




Hopefully the photos help give you a clearer vision on how the moves are made. Again, let me know if you have any questions and comments are always appreciated. That's the only way I can learn to make things better for you.

Also, to make up for being so tardy today, I'm going to give you a bonus lesson Monday! Get ready for the stem stitch, and another exciting announcement!

Hugs & Stitches,
Amy


10 comments:

  1. fawesome! that stands for effing awesome! Thanks so much for this! Hollah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great! Thank you for this and sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tried my hand at back stiching to follow along with the lessons... Looks so much easier than it really is! I guess practice, practice will help.
    Question: I am trying to embroider on a onsie for a gift and it is so thin that the thread shows through from the back...should I use less than 6 strands in the needle? It also puckers if pulled to tight..Any advice is welcome.
    Thank you for the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It turned out SO well, Amy. I love that you filmed it from the stichers perspective, it made it very easy to understand. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for sharing these lessons. It has been a while since I have done embroidery so they are great at refreshing my memory :) I've been thinking of making my own patterns for a while so your transfer techniques were great to know. Catherine x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great lessons, thank you for sharing ! For hey jude maybe you should use light interlining (i hope that it is the right english word)in the back of your fabric and use only 3 or 4 strands .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amy these lessons are fantastic! When I get asked for embroidery tips these lessons will be on my list for great links.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad you're all benefiting from these lessons! This makes me super happy.

    Hey Jude: I am planning on doing a onesie tutorial after the basics. But to get you through your gift making, I would recommend using an interfacing, as this will make it easier to stitch on the jersey material. I usually stitch with 4 to 6 strands of thread, but make my stitches shorter than I do with regular fabric. Also, I have learned that the back stitch is the best companion to jersey stitching.

    Let me know if you have any other questions or need more help!

    ebscrafts@gmail.com

    xoxo
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank You, that helps and I will keep an eye out for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for posting such concise tutorials! I taught myself to embroider years ago, but was having trouble remembering some of the stitches and I was thrilled to stumble on this link through Pinterest. I taught my three daughters to embroider today after just a short review from your site!
    I pinned your blog to my Pinterest board too so I can come back again and again! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete