Friday, April 30, 2010

Lesson 5: French Knot

Welcome back! Today I'm keeping things short and sweet, because that's pretty much the style of today's lesson, the French knot!




I l-o-v-e the French knot. It was one of the hardest stitches for me to figure out at first, but I hope that won't be the case for you after watching my video. Before you know it, you'll be going French knot crazy, just like me!


Made by me, for a personal swap with Stitchy Stitcherson.




Design: Sublime Stitching. Project: T-shirt for my daughter, Darcy.



For now, I'm only posting the video, because I need an assistant to take pictures for the step by step process. This is a two handed move, people. So this weekend, I'll get my bearded assistant to give me a hand, and update this post as soon as possible.





And to get you started, here's another free pattern for you to practice on!

Thank you so much for all your nice comments about the Country Mouse & the City Mouse embroidery patterns. I hope to eventually start selling pdf files in my Etsy shop, but until I get that worked out, my readers will reap the benefits of freebies from time to time. Luck you!

Now go, get knotty for the weekend!

Hugs & Stitches,
Amy

9 comments:

  1. I love french knots! It's one of my favorite stitches to use.

    I used a lot on my fish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks great -- you make it look so easy! I always end up with a knot traveling down the thread and looking awful...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh you are so making me want to break out my floss!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, you are the QUEEN of the french knot! I bow to you....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now can you do it like you are a lefty? lol. I think I can figure it out though. It was the easiest looking demo I have seen of the french knot yet! Thanks a bunch!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Amy - great blog and I love the tutorials! How about one for satin stitch? I am seriously satin-stitch impaired and would love to improve my technique! :) Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amy, just wanted to say how great this series is. I long for some time to give french knots a try again. I never got the hang of them. Well done with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mine seem to be loose looking. One side is tight and the other sticks up more than i would like. ANy tips to prevent that from happening?
    Thanks!
    ANna.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This video is perfect! Just what I needed! I actually just checked out "Embroidered Effects" from the library today and after reading the instructions for a french knot there this video really made everything click. Thank you so much!

    -Katie :)

    ReplyDelete