Friday, April 23, 2010

Lesson 3: Stem Stitch



I know you're all ready to learn a new move, so let's get right to it! This lesson is all about the stem stitch. I avoided this stitch in my early days of embroidery because it seemed complicated, and my results never looked pretty like the pictures I admired. Mine just looked wonky and like I had been embroidering while wearing an eye patch AND dark sunglasses.

So I just gave up on it. I told myself, 'Nope. Can't use that stitch. It's too advanced for me.' Then I decided to brave it again, and thank goodness I did. I disregarded traditional instructions, because that's what was complicating me, and had a complete and total "A-ha!" moment.

If you can do the back stitch, you can do the stem stitch. The way I do it is just a slight variation of the back stitch.

Again, I'll post photos with written instructions, followed by a quick video.



Step 1: Basically, this step will always be the same. Pick a starting point, and poke your needle up from the back side of your fabric. You can see I've already started a line of stitches, so the last complete stitch you see behind my needle is where I'm starting the instructions from. ;-)




Step 2: When you bring your needle down, you want to insert it right next to the outer edge of your previous stitch. This is the move that I do that differs from traditional instructions, and my method is just a slight variation of the back stitch.



Step 3: Repeat step 1. This photo is just a visual reference for you to see the rhythm.



Step 4: Repeat step 2. Again, more visual reference. ;-)



And now for the video!
Disclaimer: I have the shakiest hands EVER, and sometimes you might hear little ones in the background. ;-)




For just a brief second, I demonstrate the alternate way to do a stem stitch, but for some reason, it just never clicked with me. I realize that my method uses up a little bit more floss, but that's the price I choose to pay for the beauty of a stem stitch.

Stem stitch is just lovely for well, stems, and other foliage, hair, animals with spiky or textured fur, and recently I've been using it when embroidering words / letters. If I'm using it for letters, I like to use only 3 or 4 strands of floss. I think this tends to give a more delicate appearance.

I hope you're inspired and ready to try the stem stitch! I just might surprise you and post another lesson this weekend, since I fell behind this week.

Next up: Split stitch.

Hugs & Stitches,
Amy

3 comments:

  1. The Stem stitch has always confused me though your video is fab and very clear! I'ts a 'must know' stitch. I use the outline stitch a lot (which is similar but you keep the thread under instead of slightly above your stitch) with my embroidery work upside down and working from left to right. Must be because I'm a left hander! I always make a very loose 'straight' stitch so you get a loop and put my needle in the middle of the fabric underneath the loop to make the next stitch etc etc. It was lovely to hear your voice too, it sounds so friendly. People would probably fall asleep at their computer when I would start talking. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you thank you thank you! I have tried stem stitch over and over again and it always looks wonky and uneven. Your method makes perfect sense! I am stoked to try this out and fool everyone into thinking i am a stem stitch master ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy cow! I finally get it! I have avoided this stitch like the plague because mine never turned out right and made me feel like was bad at embroidery.

    I'm so going home and stem stitching all over the place.

    ReplyDelete