Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Chi Chi Love

My good friend Laura told me that last weekend was her Grandma's birthday. Grandma loves chihuahuas, so I had the perfect project for her.

I know I've used the Chi Chi Fever patterns several times before, but I always enjoy recreating the design. Plus, I haven't made a pillow in a long time, so there.



Honestly, I love the way this turned out. I didn't expect to fall in love with it as much as I did. After embroidering the basic design of the dog and the hearts, I cut it out in the shape of an oval, and attached it to the fabric. (The fabric is an Alexander Henry print called "Calyx".)

I didn't have any fusible webbing, and going to the store wasn't an option at the time, so I just pinned it in place. Yes, I was worried about the fray factor, but luckily didn't have an issue. I put the fabric in the hoop, and anchored the image in place with a green split stitch all along the border. One just wasn't enough, so I added another round of green split stitch, giving it a nice cameo effect.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I also added a piece of quilt batting in between the embroidery and the fabric, to give it a slightly quilted look, and also to hide my travel stitches a bit.

It was looking nice after adding the double rounds of split stitch, but it still needed more. So I started freehanding the stitches in white, and added the sequins for the final, but perfect touch. Isn't she purdy?

Hugs & Stitches,
Amy

7 comments:

  1. Wow... very cute!! My man loves chis, but I doubt he'd go for a girly pillow. I think I'm going to have to make him a pillow out of the stag design at SS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet it's making my teeth hurt. I love it and I don't even like dogs. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it!

    And Meg - you should totally make the pillow for your hubby, just use more "manly" fabric & floss choices.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's adorable! I love the sequins. They really are the perfect touch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great image and your work, well, I think you kow how I feel about your stitches. Love the cameo effect. Just wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, I love it! Strummer needs a chi-chi pillow!

    ReplyDelete