After brainstorming, I settled on making The Black Apple doll, pattern found here. I have been wanting to do this pattern since I saw Emily's appearance on the Martha Stewart show last year. I'm still pretty new to making dolls and softies, and this is a great pattern for beginners like me.
Knowing me, I just had to incorporate some sort of fancy pants stitching on the doll, and what better place to showcase stitches than the hair! I love stitching hair.
*Dearest Readers: Please don't unsubscribe to my blog after seeing the not so pretty pictures of my project. My camera is officially dead to me, so I had to use my phone to take pictures of this awesome project. Don't judge me.*
So on with the hair! This added a little bit of extra work time to the doll, but I really like how it turned out.


Time to sew and stuff!


When I looked at the pictures above online, I kept getting ideas of more details that I wanted to add. (The details are the best part, you know.) I did add a little skirt to my doll's body, giving it little pleats and topped it with the black lace. I've had those sparkly buttons in my collection for a few years, and I think this was the perfect project for them. See honey? It does make sense for me to horde a bunch of craft stuff for years at a time!!
After adding more details, like a black peter pan collar, fancy mary janes, and pigtails, and finally embroidering her face, she was finished!



I was so nervous about doing her little face, because I loved everything else so much. I guess that's why I put it off as the very last thing. I decided the safest and best option was to use the Cute Little Heads pattern. (So glad I did.) I just picked one of the faces in the pattern pack, and cut out each facial feature separately and placed them accordingly on the doll's face. I wondered if I needed to enlarge the features a bit, but honestly, I think it worked with the size they are.
The birthday girl and her Mama loved the doll, so I was very happy.
Darcy loved the doll too, and kept asking if she could snuggle her. I felt bad limiting her snuggle time with "Dolly", (that's what Darcy kept calling her) so I promised I would make one for her too. Her birthday is in October, so that gives me a little bit of time. But since Darcy is more of an animal lover, I'm thinking I will make her the Molly Monkey doll! Isn't she adorable?
I also have plans for a Little Red Riding Hood doll brewing in my head. Oh the cuteness!
xoxo
Amy
Oh I love it so much!! How much would you charge to make a custom one? I'd love to get one for Faith in October.
ReplyDeleteA little Red Riding hood doll would be so awesome, with little booties, a basket, flowers...And that Monkey doll is also very cute I've bookmarked it right away, although with my sewing skills I would probably produce a wonky monkey which is o.k. too :)
ReplyDeleteThat is absolutely adorable!
ReplyDeleteshe is darling! i love her shoes... too cute!
ReplyDeleteTHANK YOU SO MUCH Amy! She (meaning WE) LOVES it!!! This was my favorite gift she got this year. It is so sweet and she will treasure it always. We are lucky to have such a crafty lady in our lives. Thank again! XO
ReplyDeleteP.S. Does that outfit come in adult sizes. I want one to match. ;)
I love this little dolly!!
ReplyDeleteI can't wait to try her out!
How did you attach her pigtails to the hair??
Chills girl, that is so gorgeous cute delicious....ahhhhhhh. Lovely. Little Ava is lucky!!!
ReplyDeleteI can't wait to see what your little red riding hood doll will look like!! Dolly is so sweet - the little details really give her personality :) thanks for another inspiring project Amy!
ReplyDeleteOoooh, she's sweet as pie! Love this doll! I wish I could pull off some stitches....too sweet!~
ReplyDeletehhahahaah so cute!!!
ReplyDeleteShe came out so cute! I love how you did her hair.
ReplyDeleteDolly is the cutest Black Apple doll I have ever seen! Her face is just beautiful and oh those tiny shoes!!
ReplyDeletexo
She is absolutely adorable. I can't imagine a sweeter gift that could be more loved by anyone. :) I may have to do something like this for a certain 3 year old I know whose birthday is coming up in a couple of months.
ReplyDeleteAlso wanted to let you know that I moved my blog to a new location and have a few new surprises up my sleeve! To kick things off, I have a free downloadable gift. Stop by if you get a chance. :) The new address is: http://reclaimingthehome.blogspot.com/
HUGS!
Kristin
What a sweet doll! Love your blog and all your great cute embroideries!
ReplyDeleteAlso wanted to let you know that I am having a big giveaway on the blog and sign-ups last until Sunday night! The giveaway was given to RTH by the ever-inspiring author of Craft Nectar. Hope to see you there! :)
ReplyDeletehttp://reclaimingthehome.blogspot.com/