Friday, May 30, 2008

ATC Update - or Spoiler Alert for sh.nava

First off, I don't know if sh.nava reads my blog, but I did send her a personal message letting her know that pictures of her ATC were posted here, and if she would prefer a surprise she should skip reading this post. ♥

Last month I was browsing for birthday gifts I'd like to have, and sending my husband the links so he'd know that whatever he picked out would be a winner. Well, I stumbled upon a Japanese embroidery book that I didn't have yet, and I spied storybook characters inside. Be still my stitchy heart!

Of course he did the right thing, and gifted me the book. Thanks again, honey!

With the subject of this ATC swap being fairy tales, and me having a soft spot in my heart for THE WIZARD OF OZ, I now had the perfect pattern source.

This book wastes no time getting to the cuteness. Here's the first page:

There they are, the Wiz Kids. (Oh, don't think I'm not still swooning over Peter Pan and the gang!)

These patterns are small enough to accommodate the ATC, but they couldn't be spaced out so much. After a little tweaking, I got the placement just right.

Since the designs are so small, I only used 3 strands of floss, and primarily used the back stitch everywhere except for the occasional French knot or daisy stitch. In the book's photo, it looks like the designs were stitched using only 1 strand of floss. Wow.

I'm headed to the post office tomorrow to ship this off to Israel! My ATC will be coming from Australia and I'll be sure to share it with you when it arrives.

Which fairy tales do you love?



11 comments:

  1. Wow! I can't believe how much detail there is in such a tiny little piece! It is soooo cute! *swoon*

    The Wizard of Oz is awesome. Gotta watch it once a year when it's on TV, just like when I was a kid. ;) It never grows old. I also never get tired of Alice in Wonderland and The Little Mermaid. :) Tee hee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cool! ATCs have been one of my favorite projects to do! This one is amazing! The detail on her dress/apron is amazing!

    As for my favorite fairy tales ... hmm ... I always loved Rumpelstiltskin. And, I don't know if it falls into the fairy tale category, but The Little Prince is one of my all-time favorite books.

    Cheers!
    Rach

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Wow! I haven't seen that book yet either! Wonderful embroidery!.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is sooo wonderful, what beautiful work. I am partial to Sleeping Beauty, especially the part when the 3 fairies clean up the home and bake a cake. hee hee

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is too cute for words!!!! I always covet those Japanese embroidery books when I see them, I really should start snatching them up for my self.
    Also, I've embroidered with only one strand of thread and it does take a certain amount of delicacy....

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is just way too adorable! I love the scarecrow and the lion and...oh really, I love it all. I would have a hard time choosing a favorite fairy tale, but I am a big fan of Beauty and the Beast. I remember reading it when I was very, very small and liking how the characters actually have time to get to know each other before they fall in love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. you did such an awesome job on this amy! i love how you arranged them, the little dog is just too cute!

    hmmm... i don't know if i have a favorite fairy tale, i really like them all. although when i first watched the wizard of oz, i was kind of afraid by it... not anymore more though.. hehe..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such cute embroidery, amazing detail.
    Not sure if the Princess and the Pea is a fairytale? I always fancied climbing up a ladder and sleeping on all those mattresses when I was a little girl :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is adorable & so tiny...beautiful work!

    I can't think of a favorite fairytale - I'm kind of still annoyed that they built up that whole happy ending thing even though life doesn't quite work that way!

    Although I guess if I had to pick I'd go with the modern movie take of The Princess Bride & Legend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is fantastic! Amazing how much you fit onto one little card - it definitely says Wizard of Oz

    ReplyDelete