I had never made a doll before, although I had purchased other doll patterns. This is such a great book, especially for beginners. The instructions are well written, and a doll can easily be made in a weekend. Also, I love how cute it is for boys!
But since I don't have a boy, and I loved the dolls so much, I adapted the Spaceboy to a Spacegirl for Darcy.

Besides choosing girly fabrics, the main alteration I made was making an apron style skirt instead of a belt that the pattern calls for. Easy peasy!

Darcy's response to the doll: "Oh my goodness! My Spacegirl is just so cute!" Now she wants a Robot, and I'm happy to oblige.
I love Hillary's patterns. They are all really fun.
ReplyDeleteJust watch out, you might not be able to stop...
I have Spaceboy, robot, olive, archie, chloe and we're planning on more.
Darcy is right! Space girl is adorable! Such pretty fabrics you chose!
ReplyDeleteI know I already said it on flicker, but this is just so cute!!!! I love the colors. I want one for myself, lol.
ReplyDeleteThat is so cute. I love Wee Wonderful's stuff. Maybe I could even make one. I would get to do the unmodified boy. It is so rewarding when your kids respond with such excitement.
ReplyDeleteI love it! Ava was here when I opened the pics. I said look at the spacedoll Amy made Darcy and of course Ava said "I need a spacedoll". OF COURSE! Oh, and last night, Ava said in a very sad voice..."I miss my best friend Darcy".
ReplyDeletei've been wanting to make those dolls for a long time, but i'm so skeptical, given that i've never made dolls before. it's good to know the patterns are easy to work with. maybe i'll give it a try one of these days.
ReplyDeletedarcy's spacegirl turned out great! i love her reaction :)
WOW - she is so cute! and she's perfect - I would never have guessed she's your first doll :)
ReplyDeletep.s. I haven't been checking blogs lately so am catching up tonight...congratulations on your happy baby news - I'm so happy for you & your family!!
She's right, that IS a cute space girl! I love making toys like this, but I don't have any children in my life to give them to yet. I have given toys away to neighbors' kids and to charities. Maybe I should start making some like this (all the Wee Wonderfuls stuff is downright adorable) and ferreting them away for later on.
ReplyDelete