Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Gnome Sweet Gnome

I'm sure most of you already know about the embroidery mastermind, Andrea Zuill, aka badbird. But if not, allow me to introduce you! She creates the most amazing quilts and embroidered pieces, often combining the cute with the creepy. My favorite combination!

She is also a great painter, and sells wonderful prints in her Etsy shop. You can also find original embroidery patterns for sale in her shop too. But just for funsies, and because she rocks, she's been posting free embroidery patterns on her blog. She aspires to post a new pattern every month and so far, she has not disappointed! I'm a little behind, but I finally got around to stitching up January's pattern.

It's an adorable, disgruntled gnome surrounded by mushrooms. I knew right away that I wanted to create a wall hanging with our family name on it. My machine sewing skills aren't the greatest, and it seems like one side is always a little wonky, but I really love it.


I ended up putting ours on the front door. I'm not sure that's where it will stay, because it's so cute, and I can only see it when the front door is open.


I think everyone needs to have this gnome somewhere in their home. Maybe a wall hanging or a pillow. I like the idea of a family name, or something cute like, "Gnome Sweet Gnome," "You Don't Gnome Me," or "Home Is Where The Gnome Is."

I'm sure this won't be the last pattern of Andrea's that you see me stitch. Next on the agenda of personal items is the pegasus and unicorn. I'm thinking patchwork pillow for Darcy.

So go, meet Andrea, fall in love, and get your stitch on.

9 comments:

  1. This is fantastic and so much fun! As usual, your stitching/color choices, etc. are sheer perfection.

    I've seen her stuff in the Embroidery Flickr Pool, but somehow hadn't subscribed to her blog. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, lady! Yeah, Andrea's blog is definitely a must read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I clicked over to look at her prints, saw this one (http://www.etsy.com/view_transaction.php?transaction_id=7863720) and was like GIMME NOW. I am in lurve.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh! I know! That one is so you. I just clicked on that link, and it popped up as sold. Did you just buy it?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally bought it! It had to be mine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the idea of a family name wall-hanging & I would have never thought of using the gnome - you're awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow!
    this is so lovely amy, you are right, everyone should have one of these in their home :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG...total friggin' cuteness! and what a cool idea for a wall hanging. I'm just not patient enough to do all the stitching, I guess. =D

    ReplyDelete
  9. SO CUTE!!! and I LOVE the word "wonky". ;)

    ReplyDelete